With Microsoft Microsoft Office users can encrypt their Office documents and PDF files, and restricts document access unless the user has the password. Talking about the encryption feature, it is inbuilt with all Office 2010 applications such as MS Excel, MS Word, and PowerPoint. Not just the Office 2010 but Microsoft Office versions such as Office 365, Office 2016, Office 2013, and Office 2007 have password protection features. For more info on protection features, you can visit Office.com/Setup.
Steps to password protect a Word document:-
- Double click on the Word document which you want to secure.
- Wait for the document to open. Click on Microsoft Word if it is yet to be created and go to Blank Document. Create the document and then continue to next step.
- Go to the upper left-hand side of the window and locate the File tab.
- Click on the file tab.
- Go to the options given on the left-hand side of the window. Locate the Info tab and click on it.
- Click on Protect Document. It will have a lock icon towards the right side of the page. Wait for the drop-down menu to come.
- Click on Encrypt with a password.
- Visit the new window, type in the password which you want to use for the document and enter it in the password text box.
- Go to the pop-up window, click Ok.
- Type your password again and confirm it. Click on Ok.
Steps to password protect a PowerPoint document:-
- Open the PowerPoint presentation that you wish to secure.
- Click on the File menu.
- Go to Info, and you will be able to see the PowerPoint Backstage view.
- Visit the Protect Presentation options and click on Encrypt with Password.
- The Encrypt Document Dialog box will appear on the screen.
- Fill the suitable password for the document.
- Click on OK and encrypt the presentation.
- Below Permissions, there will be a Protect Presentation button which will get changed.
- Ropen the presentation and enter your password. If you want to edit the presentation, then enter the password.
Steps to password protect an Excel Spreadsheet:-
- Open the Excel document which you want to encrypt.
- Hit the “Reviews tab” button which is on the top left side of the window.
- Go below to the changes group; you will see the Protect Workbook and Protect Sheet.
- Click on Protect sheet.
- A dialog box will appear, enable the options in the bottom pane and permit the users to perform actions.
- Type in a password to protect your document.
- Click on OK.
- If any user tries to access your spreadsheet without the password, a preventive message will pop-up on the screen.
We have written information, and you can follow it protecting your documents. If you have purchased the MS Office product and wanted to install it then visit www.office.com/setup and install it on your computer. For any other info related to the MS Office or its other applications, you can get Office help.