AMD’s Blockbuster Deal to Acquire Xilinx: 6 Thoughts

AMD  (AMD) – Get Report and Xilinx  (XLNX) – Get Report are eager to work together not just on new server platforms, but also on joint offerings for 5G base stations, cars and much else, its CEOs stress.

Three weeks after The Wall Street Journal first reported that a potential $30 billion-plus deal was being discussed, AMD announced on Tuesday morning that it’s buying top FPGA developer Xilinx in an all-stock deal that values Xilinx at more than $33 billion based on AMD’s current trading price.

The companies aim to close the deal by the end of 2021, and to generate $300 million worth of annual cost savings within 18 months of closing. AMD shareholders stand to own 74% of the post-merger company, and Xilinx shareholders the other 26%.

In tandem with the announcement, AMD posted its Q3 report, which was originally scheduled to arrive on

Read More

Ant Group IPO gets the green light from regulators for its blockbuster listing

China’s securities regulator said Wednesday that Ant has received the green light for its Shanghai public offering, and has now cleared all regulatory hurdled for a dual-listing that is expected to rake in billions.

Ant, the financial technology company affiliated with Chinese e-commerce group Alibaba (BABA), plans to list simultaneously in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Ant will announce the IPO’s share price on October 27, according to updated regulatory filings.

The listing is expected to set a new world record, surpassing the $29.4 billion float by Saudi Aramco’s IPO last December. The IPO would also be the first simultaneous listing in Hong Kong and on Shanghai’s Star Market, China’s answer to the Nasdaq.

How Jack Ma built China's money supermarket into a $200 billion company

Ant said in its prospectus that the float will be evenly split between Hong Kong and Shanghai. The company will sell up to 1.67 billion shares on each exchange, which will account for 11%

Read More

More Blockbuster Games for Your Smartphone: From ‘Call of Duty Mobile’ to ‘League of Legends’

Videogame publishers are bringing more of their complex, graphics-intense hits for consoles and high-end computers to mobile devices, a response to technology upgrades and an acknowledgment that people are spending a growing share of their entertainment dollars on smartphones and tablets.

Activision Blizzard Inc.

launched a new mobile version of its “Call of Duty” series last October and is working on mobile iterations of its “Diablo” and “Crash Bandicoot” franchises, both of which made their debuts in the 1990s.

Electronic Arts Inc.

is doing the same for “Apex Legends,” the company’s breakout PC-and-console hit released last year, as is Riot Games Inc. for its more than decade-old computer game “League of Legends.”

The trend comes at a time when demand for interactive entertainment is especially robust due to the coronavirus pandemic. It also shows how publishers are looking to grow their businesses by reaching people who have never played their

Read More